Monday, November 17, 2008

Surprises

I write my blog on myspace and then I post the same entry on my site here at blogspot. When posting a blog on myspace you are prompted to select a category for each posting. At first I placed this under "travel" but I changed it to "life". Stay with me, there is a point to this.

I just returned from Hawaii a few days ago. It was gorgeous, beautiful, awesome, wonderful, and any other adjective that could fit a glorious description of what I lived and saw for 8 days on Oahu's North Shore. We planned on doing several excursions, and while I enjoyed those immensely, it was what I didn't plan that will stick with me for many years to come.

On our first morning on the island we were up at 530 to catch our boat for a shark dive that was at 630 in the morning. The shark dive was incredible. Being that close to such potentially dangerous animals is exciting and entertaining to say the least. I loved it. We were back at the harbor by 9am so we ate breakfast at Kono's (if you are ever in Oahu on the North Shore you HAVE to go here, the food is awesome!) and decided to spend the rest of the morning stopping at various beaches on the drive back to our hotel. We had some time to kill since it was so early.

As we were driving on Kamehameha Hwy (say that 6 times fast) we spotted an unmarked beach and pulled over. It's not easy to describe how beautiful a Hawaiian beach is when you have it all to yourself in the morning. It was a little cloudy, but in my opinion the weather was perfect. We walked along the beach together in silence. With each of us taking in the sites, the scent, the feel of the Hawaiian breeze on our skin with the pacific waters lapping at our feet.

As I look back on this day, I'm sure most would expect me to say the shark dive would be the most memorable, but for me, it wasn't. And while I enjoyed our boating adventures with such magnificent creatures it was the unplanned walk along that beach on a cloudy morning that I enjoyed more than anything else that trip.

As Adam held my hand we continued on along the shore. Suddenly, I stopped dead in my tracks and I said, "Do you see what it ahead of us?" He looked around and he said "No, what???"

I pointed straight ahead and we saw this



















We can't always see what is ahead of us in this life. Sometimes we are diving headfirst into ache and sorrow. Other times we are walking through life in our own quiet peaceful existance. We can make plans and have expectations, have lists, goals, wants, and needs but sometimes it's the most unexpected occurrences that have the greatest impact on our souls.

And that's why I debated on what category to place this under. Yes, this was all part of my vacation. It was one day of my travels. However, I will never forget how randomly everything happened and how perfectly it turned out.

Life really is full of some wonderful Surprises.

No comments: