Sunday, November 23, 2008

50 in 50

The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving. ~H.U. Westermayer

As Thanksgiving approaches this week I've been thinking about all that I have to be thankful for. This will be our first holiday season in our new house. I'm excited for all the memories we will make here. The stockings we will hang from the fireplace, trimming the tree, celebrating thanksgiving over a large feast at the table. Although this year has been heavy with heartache (those who know me well know what I am talking about), there is lots to be thankful for, we have truly been blessed this year.

This year I have chosen to cut back on my holiday spending and use what I save on charities. I was just starting to think about where I wanted to donate to when Angie posted about a project called Soles for Souls aiming at raising 50,000 pairs of shoes in 50 days for those suffering in poverty. Five dollars ($5!) will buy two pairs of shoes! This is so exciting!

Feel free to click on the link if you want to read more about it. As soon as I post this I will be donating.

I want to leave you on this note:

Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds. ~Theodore Roosevelt

Happy Thanksgiving! :)


The 50,000 Pairs in 50 Days Challenge

No comments: